This is a no-bullshit recipe for slow cooker ribs that you can prepare in Japan.
- Ribs 1.8kg (less works, more works too. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly)
- Salt & Pepper (or some kind of fancypants rub)
- Vinegar 2 tablespoons
- Soy sauce (gasp!) 1 tablespoon
- Water 1 tablespoon
- Preheat the slow cooker to “high” lol. Set it to about 5 hours
- Rub the salt and pepper (or rub) into the ribs meat
- Put the vinegar, soy sauce and water in the bottom of the slow cooker
- Stand the ribs upright in the crockpot. They don’t have to be standing straight like soldiers – leaning around like lazy layabouts about to get devoured by a giant is probably more appropriate.
- Cover and come back in about 4 1/2 hours to make sure they aren’t too dry (they never are)
THIS RECIPE WILL NOT MAKE RIBS THE SAME AS IF YOU DID THEM IN AN OVEN!!! But because of the low liquid they are less stewed, more baked than other methods. They also rank quite high on the melt-in-your-mouth scale,* and this recipe is easy to modify (eg make a tangy sauce down the bottom of the slow cooker which you cover the meat with afterwards)
* Not an SI-approved unit of measure